The Paris publishing firm's origins go back to the composer Antoine-Marcel Lemoine (1763-1816), who started the firm in 1796. His eldest son François Lemoine (1782–1839) started publishing music independently in 1812 under the imprint Lemoine aîné, which continued operations under his widow for a decade after his death (1849). The second son, composer Henry Lemoine (1786-1854), a student of Anton Reicha, inherited the original company in 1816 and expanded the company's holdings considerably - publishing music of Chopin and the first edition of Hector Berlioz' Traité d’instrumentation. Engraving and printing facilities were added in 1858 and the 600-title series Le Panthéon des pianistes was initiated shortly thereafter. Further expansion took place with the acquisition of the Schonenberger catalog (1875) and Grus (1935). The company continues operation to the present day in Paris under its director Pierre Lemoine.
Imprints, Addresses, Agencies
- Lemoine aîné (1812-1849)
- Henry Lemoine
- H. Lemoine & Fils
- H. Lemoine & Cie.
Paris - Main office
- 256, rue Saint-Honoré (before 1815-?)
- 20, rue de l'Ancienne Comédie (1830)
- 9, rue de l'Echelle (1823-1853)
- 17, rue Pigalle (shop) & 256, rue Saint-Honoré (for printing house) (1854-? )
- 27, Boulevard Beaumarchais (present)
- 45, rue de la Régence (?-1890-?)
- 44, rue de l'Hôpital (?-1876-1907-?)
Years- - Plate numbers- 1815/1834 323 - 1609 1835/1854 1610 - 4075 1855/1874 4076 - 7775 1875/1894 7778 - 18,261 1895/1914 18,262 - 21,200 Complete details year after year available on Lemoine Plate numbers 1815/1914
- Devries, Anik; Lesure, François. Dictionnaire des éditeurs de musique français - Vol.3 "De 1820 à 1914"
- Genève: Minkoff, 1979-1988
(Éditions Henry Lemoine)