This British music publishing and importing company was established in London by John Jeremiah Ewer in 1823. Julius Johanning (1795-1859) was Ewer’s partner from about 1824 until 1829. In these years the firm was run under the name of Ewer & Johanning. Thereafter Ewer continued as J.J. Ewer & Co. until 1867 when the company was purchased by Novello.
- 1839: Gustavus Andre
Imprints, Addresses, Agencies
- ca. 1824-1829: Ewer & Johanning
- 1829-1867: J.J. Ewer & Co., 390 Oxford Street, London
- Novello, Ewer & Co.: 1867-1898
- 1 Bow Church Yard, Cheapside, ca. 1823-1825
- ...with additional premises at 263 Regent Street, end ca 1824-1825.
- Ewer and Johanning, 1 Bow Church Yard, Cheapside, ca. 1825-1829
- Ewer and Johanning, 263 Regent Street, ca. 1825-1826
- Ewer and Johanning, 20 Tichbourne Street, Piccadilly, ca. 1826-1829
- J.J. Ewer and Co., 1 Bow Church Yard, ca. 1829-1841
- J.J. Ewer and Co., 69 Newgate Street, ca. 1841-1843
- J.J. Ewer and Co., 72 Newgate Street, ca. 1843-1852
- J.J. Ewer and Co., 390 Oxford Street, ca. 1852-1859
- J.J. Ewer and Co., 87 Regent Street, ca. 1859-1867
- Humphries, Charles and William C. Smith. Music Publishing in the British Isles (Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1970).
- Sadie, Stanley. The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians (New York and London: Macmillan Publications, 1980).
- (Novello, Ewer & Co.)