This Parisian music publishing company originated in 1846 as Brandus & Cie. when Louis Brandus purchased the publisher Maurice Schlesinger. In October 1850 Louis’s younger brother, Gemmy, became a partner, and the firm of Troupenas was acquired. In 1854 Sélim-François Dufour became a partner and the firm was known as G. Brandus, Dufour & Cie. and, since 1858, as G. Brandus & S. Dufour. When Dufour died in July 1872 the firm reverted to the name Brandus & Cie. When Louis Brandus died in 1887, Philippe Maquet acquired the firm, giving it his own name; in 1899 Maquet’s business was taken over by C. Joubert & Cie., which remained in existence until 1971.
Imprints, Agencies, Addresses
- Brandus & Cie. (1846–1854)
- G. Brandus, Dufour & Cie. (1854–1858)
- G. Brandus & S. Dufour or Brandus & Dufour (1858–1872)
- Brandus & Cie. (1872–1887)
- Philippe Maquet (1887–1899)
- C. Joubert & Cie. (1899–1971)
- 97, rue Richelieu (1846-1848)
- 87, rue Richelieu (1849-1851)
- 103, rue Richelieu (1851-1887)
Brandus continued Schlesinger’s chronological series of plate numbers, starting at 4293 in 1846 and continuing to 13,167 in 1887. A gap of about 3400 numbers may be explained partly by the acquisition of Troupenas’ catalogue in late 1850. The prefixes employed were B. et Cie., B. D. & Cie., B. et D., depending upon the company imprint.
- 1. The New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians, edited by Stanley Sadie.
- New York and London: Macmillan Publications, 1980.