The publishing house was founded in 1781 by Heinrich Philipp Carl Bossler (1744-1812) in Speyer, Germany. In 1779 he invented a machine that would simplify music printing, which inspired him to create the company. In 1785 another branch was added to the company, Krämer & Bossler, located in Darmstadt. The two branches consolidated in 1792 in Darmstadt. The company closed in 1828, then being managed by Bossler's son. He is most well known for his publication of south German composers and the famous periodical, the Musicalische Realzeitung (1788–90).
- Grove's Dictionary of Music and Musicians