"One of the important London music publishers. From his early imprints we learn that before commencing business he was employed by William Randall at Walsh's old shop in Catherine Street. He probably left here on Randall's death and set up in business at 129, New Bond Street, sometime near 1780.
... After his partnership with Andrews, Birchall appears to have pushed his business forward vigorously and to have established an extensive musical circulating library, rapidly coming to the front as a publisher. About the end of the century he published a quantity of Italian vocal music, then in such great demand; much of this is in oblong folio. A great number of glees, also appeared singly as well as in large collections — Horsley's and Callcott's, several books in oblong folio. He issued many single pieces of Handel's, and altogether a mass of sheet and other musical publications much too large to indicate. One of his series was a re-issue and a continuation of Campbell's "Country Dances and Strathspey Reels" in oblong quarto. This extended to at least the 27th book, circa 1811. The set was originally commenced by Wm. Campbell, the music publisher, but Birchall acquired the plates.
After making his business one of the largest of its kind in London, Robert Birchall died in 1819." (from Kidson)
- Printed for R. Birchall (from the late Mr. Randall's, formerly Walsh's in Catherine Street, Strand) and T. Beardmore, No.129, New Bond Street" - c.1780-83
- Printed and sold by Messrs. Birchall and Andrews, No.129, New Bond Street - c.1783-85
- Printed and sold by Birchall & Andrews, at Handel's Head, No.129, New Bond Street - c.1783-85
- Printed by Robt. Birchall, at his Musical Circulating Library, No.133, New Bond Street - c.1788
- Printed & Sold by Rt. Birchall, Music Seller to her Royal Highness the Duchess of York, No.133, New Bond Street - c.1789
- Printed & Sold by Rt. Birchall, at his Musical Circulating Library, No.133, New Bond St.
- Rare example of a dated imprint: Kollmann's Hymn
- London 1803 Printed & Sold by Rt. Birchall. at his Musical Circulating Library No133 New Bond Str.
- Printed for Rt. Birchall, at his Musical Circulating Library, No.133, New Bond St. - c.1790-c.1815
- Birchall & Co., No.140, New Bond Street - c.1821-1830
- Plate numbers used, e.g. Perucchini's 6 Ariette
- Birchall, Lonsdale and Mills, No.140, New Bond Street - c.1821-1830
- Kidson, Frank, British Music Publishers, Printers and Engravers, London, 1900.
- (Robert Birchall)