Free public domain sheet music from IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library
- Sehr lebhaft. Markiert und kraftvoll
- Sehr langsame Viertel
- Finale. Lebhafte Viertel
|Year/Date of Composition
||1922 June and November
||1923-01-10 in Elberfeld-Barmen
- Paul Hindemith, viola ; Emma Lübbecke-Job, piano
||The Steinbergs in Düsseldorf
All Music Guide
- Probably among the works mentioned in a letter of September 1922 as having been composed in the year past (between Sept 1921 and Sept 1922? since Jan 1922? unclear) - (Selected Letters of Paul Hindemith, p.29) a solo viola sonata, a sonata for viola and piano, a ballet, a viola d'amore sonata, the Marienlieder, a set of songs with two violas and two cellos (that would be des Todes Tod?), a symphony for small orchestra, die Junge Magd, a piano suite (that is, Suite 1922), a wind quintet (that is, Kleine Kammermusik), and a Christmas fairy play besides.
- First published in 1976, actually. _Not PD-CA_, probably.
- Numbered Op. 25 No. 3 in manuscript and premired as such; alternately numbered Op. 25c, Op. 25d and Op. 25 No. 4 in the composer's work lists. Occasionally referred to as his viola sonata "No. 2" in some older sources, but never by Hindemith himself.
- -Paul Hindemith: A Research and Information Guide