User talk:Leonard Vertighel/archive2
Hmm, I saw you removed the comment for turkish in OtherLangs:Mainpage, but when I try this with the other newly added languages, it's messed up, displaying the links in red on the page body. do you know how to correct this?--Peter talk 22:22, 22 August 2009 (UTC)
- No I didn't, I uncommented Polish in OtherLangs:Main Page. That one worked all along, I had only commented it out because you had removed the previous outdated Polish translation. Now we have an updated Polish translation, so I restored the link.
- I'm sorry but I have no idea why the other links don't work. --Leonard Vertighel 05:10, 23 August 2009 (UTC)
Ciao, volevo un informazione: mi piacerebbe caricare delle mie composizioni, ma che licenza va usata se i miei pezzi sono depositati alla SIAE?
Puoi anche rispondermi su wikipedia :-) ciao, ^musaz 23:24, 25 August 2009 (UTC)
- Non ne ho idea, spiacente. Puoi provare a chiedere nei forum se c'è qualcuno che abbia esperienza in materia. Altrimenti dovrai rivolgerti direttamente alla SIAE. Suppongo (ma questo va verificato!) che l'unica licenza possibile sia quella "performance restricted", dato che dal momento in cui aderisci alla SIAE sono loro a gestire i diritti di esecuzione, per cui tu neanche volendo avesti il diritto di permettere l'esecuzione delle tue opere senza interpellare la SIAE. --Leonard Vertighel 05:29, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- Ok, grazie! ^musaz 08:09, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
Hallo Leonard, kann man die maximale Seitenanzahl auch tatsächlich auf 500 zu erhöhen, so wie es oben/unten angegeben ist? Manchmal werden vielleicht ca. 200 Seiten angezeigt, manchmal auch viel weniger. Orientiert sich diese Spezialseite an einer Datumsdifferenz anstatt einer Anzahl? Es wäre schön, wenn man da um einiges weiter zurückgehen könnte, nicht nur ein paar wenige Tage.
Eine weitere Sache: ist es möglich, eine Spezialseite zu machen, die leere Werkseiten auflistet? Das würde die Wartung von Seiten erleichtern. Momentan spüre ich die immer über Special:ShortPages auf. Aber in dieser Auflistung sind natürlich noch jede Menge anderer Seiten mit dabei. Hobbypianist 19:01, 10 September 2009 (UTC)
- Soviel ich weiß, sind unter NewPages nur die neuen Seiten der letzten 7 Tage aufgelistet, und ich befürchte, dass sich das nicht ohne weiteres ändern lässt. Eine Liste leerer Werkseiten wäre in der Tat praktisch, ist aber leider auch nicht leicht zu realisieren, da die Information nicht direkt aus der Datenbank auszulesen ist. Wenn ich irgendwann dazukomme, sehe ich mir an, ob sich da was machen lässt. Momentan habe ich dafür aber leider keine Zeit. --Leonard Vertighel 19:30, 10 September 2009 (UTC)
Auflistung bei Category:Composers
Hi Leonard, kannst du mal bitte hier schauen und evtl. deinen Kommentar als Programmier-Experte dazu geben. Bei der Auflistung wurden zusätzliche Einträge hinzugefügt, die aber optisch einfach unschön aussahen und halt bezgl. des 2. Buchstabens irgendwie zufällig gewählt waren. Mich hats ehrlich gesagt auch erstmal etwas irritiert. Ich weiß, daß du momentan keine Zeit hast, aber vielleicht gibts ja grundsätzlich eine elegantere Lösung wie man das mal in Zukunft ändern könnte. Gruß, Hobbypianist 16:58, 22 September 2009 (UTC)
I received your e-mail; see my post in the Moderator forum. --Feldmahler 14:29, 3 October 2009 (UTC)
Hi, Leonard. Due to technical pronlems I'll have to ask to have my account removed. Thanks! Tobeor
- It is not possible to delete user accounts. If you have posted private information on this wiki which you wish to remove, please let me know exactly on which page(s), so I can remove it. The account itself however will remain. --Leonard Vertighel 17:04, 6 October 2009 (UTC)
Thanks. I'll just have to stop using it, I guess. -Tobeor
Hello Leonard. Would it be possible to devise a search form that would allow users to search multiple fields from the information template simultaneously, and produce a hyperlinked list of works that fulfil all the criteria?
The fields in question are:
- Category (which will replace "Meta-Genre" under the new system)
- Work Type (to replace "Genre")
- Piece Style
... such that users could specify combinations of terms like:
- Composer=Beethoven AND Work Type=Overtures
- Category=Concerertante AND Instrumentation=Violin solo
- Category=Choral AND Piece Style=Classical AND Piece Style=Motet
Is this technically feasible? Break it to me gently :-) — P.davydov 13:39, 13 October 2009 (UTC)
Can Category:Paul Graener be easily undeleted on IMSLP as I believe would be the case on Wikipedia, say? I believe you wrote that the problem was that it was empty, and that can now be fixed quickly, since there are two pieces by him on Sibley that can be mirrored... Thank you for your time anycase! Eric 21:36, 14 October 2009 (UTC)
Help with the Help stuff
New Programmer Portal
I got your e-mails about the translation system. It would be nice if you can redirect all future programming questions (except security-related) to the Programmer Portal I just created, so that it can be archived for future programmers as well (and other programmers can participate in the discussion; think Mediawiki.org). Plus, that way I can read the discussion even when I'm not in front of my computer but someone elses.
Anyhow, my answer to your questions is on the programmer portal.
--Feldmahler 16:11, 29 October 2009 (UTC)
File download counts
Hi Leonard, I don't know if you noticed my question from the other day on the forum, but the head of CCARH (whose scores we have a number of) wanted to know if we could let her know how many of each item had been downloaded. Is there any way we can track this? I was also wondering how much of our daily download count was being generated by bots from places like SMA. If such activity is significant, I wonder about changing the copyright disclaimer to a captcha-type thing were the downloader would actually have to respond. Thanks, Carolus 07:06, 7 November 2009 (UTC)
- It seems to me that from the data I have access to I can't tell download counts. Maybe Feldmahler could extrapolate something from the full server logs, but I guess that's not a priority at present.
- As far as bot activity is concerned, I agree with Feldmahler: captcha systems are very cumbersome for the users, and determined bot owners can still circumvent them. If copyright is a concern, then maybe we should recommend that copyrighted scores always contain an appropriate notice directly in the PDF file. --Leonard Vertighel 07:19, 7 November 2009 (UTC)
- In order to implement a file download counter for each file requires a little bit of coding. Retrospectively it is pretty much impossible to tell the number of downloads from the very beginning, as I only keep logs for 1 month as a matter of policy. But looking forward, implementing it is not all that difficult (just change the SQL schema and add a counter to the download handling code).
- The problem with having a captcha system on the disclaimer is that, with the current implementation, there is absolutely no difference insofar as the bot is concerned (both set a cookie on the user side, so the captcha only makes real users' life difficult at no hindrance at all to bot owners). The only way to make the captcha system work is to require it for every single download, so that there are no loopholes, but I have doubts that the virtue of such an arrangement offsets the vice to any significant degree (it will likely have an effect on casual duplication, but it probably would not deter SMA-type committed duplicators which are who we really want to block). Plus, we do not have any capacity problems with regards to bandwidth, so it doesn't benefit us from a monetary perspective anyway.
- If you have any concerns about legal aspects regarding this duplication, please call me and we can talk more in depth... --Feldmahler 15:19, 7 November 2009 (UTC)
Thanks to both of you. My main hope was that there would be an easy way to make life more difficult for bots - not users. SMA and company do not seem to be particularly concerned about maintaining attribution, which is one of the few actual requirements common to all flavors of the CC license. My chief concern not so much that they duplicate our efforts here, but the fact that this duplication may discourage new composers from adding their works here. Jujimufu has apparently contacted a number of new composers who also have items over at LoadCD, and they've been uploading their own scores here recently - a nice development IMO. If possible, I do not wish them to become discouraged due to constant bot-mining by SMA and his pals. Carolus 02:59, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- That's why I suggested recommending that composers add an appropriate notice directly in the PDF. It seems to me that for example at Mutopia this is common practice. This way, attribution is automatically preserved (unless the PDF is edited, which usually is not the case). This would also largely solve the attribution issue in the case of manual copying - after all, the problem is not specific to bots. --Leonard Vertighel 10:47, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
- I thought that this might be what you were worried about Carolus. I've thought about this, but concluded that it is something composers must come to account with. IMSLP can only be an ineffective placenta at best; I would rather that composers understand what it means to put their music online (not that people won't duplicate it even if it is not online). I agree with Leonard, and think that it is probably better that the composers learn themselves how to protect their works if they want to do so, rather than having to burden the average user with things that they really shouldn't be burdened with...
- Just my 2 cents. --Feldmahler 17:43, 8 November 2009 (UTC)
Since friday 11-6 afternoon (CET) I only get an "SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ] - Too many connections " if I try to go to the forum, the main imslp page opens fine. Since no note mentions server problems, is this only on my Mac? Tried clearing the cache already. Who should get notified of such problems? Thanks--Kalliwoda 15:38, 9 November 2009 (UTC)
- Feldmahler. Which I already did 2 days ago (on his talk page). Sorry, there is nothing else I can do. --Leonard Vertighel 15:43, 9 November 2009 (UTC)
- I'd noticed that, but as the problem doesn't seem to have been of short duration, I edited the MediaWiki:Sitenotice - does Feldmahler want the problem kept quiet, on the presumption it's a bot attack? I'm also aware that there might be a similar attack going on over at CPDL, though it hasn't resulted in a complete meltdown of their PHP3 forums. Regards, Philip Legge @ © talk 03:17, 10 November 2009 (UTC)
Just a note that your first commit is now on the server. --Feldmahler 12:04, 14 November 2009 (UTC)
--Hi, I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this, but I would like to help translate into Hebrew. I've been using this website for a while now, and I think it would be great if more people can get access to it in their native language. I have already started translating the main page (see עמוד_ראשי ). How do I get Hebrew to show up in the language toolbar on the left hand side? (Rida1990)
Dear Leonard Vertighel, may I ask for privileges as a translator? I would like to translate special pages from English to Chinese (traditional and simplified). As you can see, there are currently no Chinese translators. Thank you for your consideration! ClassicalComposers 00:23, 3 January 2010 (UTC)
Hi Leonard. I just wanted to drop a note that I have received your e-mail, but that I have been insanely busy the past few days (and with no e-mail access before that), so I have not responded yet. I will give you a substantial response in the next few days. There are indeed things to be done on the programming (and site design) side of things, especially with the new genre system.
Talk to you then. --Feldmahler 00:01, 6 January 2010 (UTC)
traduzioni dal tedesco.. se non disturbo
- And the double-redirects list is at 2141...could 5Y be reinstated? Thanks-- Snailey (_@/) Talk to Me Email me 02:57, 30 July 2010 (UTC)
The work lists are getting more and more difficult due to various naming inconsistencies. It would be a lot easier if exactly the same name and spelling were used in both the composer category and the work list title (e.g. Category:Chopin, Frederic vs. List of compositions by Frédéric Chopin, or Category:Fux, Johann Joseph vs. List of compositions by Johann Fux, etc.).
My old bot was written for an earlier MediaWiki version and cannot be used as it is. I'd either have to rewrite (parts of) it, or learn to use an existing MediaWiki bot framework. Not sure if/when I'll get around to it. --Leonard Vertighel 15:55, 10 August 2010 (UTC)