||Symphony No.4, Columbus, Musical Seascape in the Form of a Symphony
||Abert, Johann Joseph
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
- Empfindungen bei der Abfahrt (Allegro)
- Seemannstreiben (Scherzo)
- Abends, auf dem Meere (Adagio)
- Finale. Gute Zeichen Empörung, Sturm Land! (Allegro non troppo)
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||1865 – Mainz: Schott
||Ihrer Königlichen Hoheit Der Frau Grossherzogin Louise von Baden ehrfurchtsvoll zugeeignet
|Average DurationAvg. Duration
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
- 2 flutes, 2 oboes, 2 clarinets (A), 2 bassoons
4 horns (D/E, D/F), 2 trumpets (A), 3 trombones, ophicleide, timpani, strings
Recorded on Bayer Records BR 100 160 CD (1993, released 1995.)
While Sibley and the title page refer to the work as Columbus, a seascape in the form of a symphony (translating from the German), several sources refer to this work as his fourth symphony (whether Abert later referred to it so or it is so accounted posthumously in the canon, such as it is, of his works, I do not know.)