Strike, Seraphs, Strike Your Harps of Gold (Fawcett, John)
Free public domain sheet music from IMSLP / Petrucci Music Library
No files submitted.
Norwich: Fynn Titford-Mock, 2012-13.
Source - The Voice of Harmony - London: J. Shepherd, n.d.(ca.1855).
|Work Title||Strike, Seraphs, Strike Your Harps of Gold|
|Alternative Title||Strike, Seraphs, Strike Your Harps of Gold. A new Christmas piece|
|First Publication||1855 ca.|
|Librettist||George Pike of Bolton (ca.1794-1848) "A well-known local schoolmaster and an active member of the Wesleyan body."|
|Composer Time Period||Classical|
|Instrumentation||SATB voices (plus soloists); orchestra (flutes, clarinets, horns, trumpets, strings, organ; intended for the use of varying combinations/forces, so possible with voices, organ; or voices, strings, organ, etc.)|
- Strike, seraphs, strike your harps of gold,
- And bow before th'eternal throne,
- Let heav'n's mysterious love be told,
- And make redemption's glories known.
- The shepherd swains on Judah's plains
- Have seen, from heav'n descending,
- An angel band, at God's command,
- Their harps and voices blending.
- Then haste to Bethl'em and behold
- The Saviour in his low estate.
- Yet bring Arabia's gifts of gold
- To deck his bed with regal state,
- And worship at his infant shrine
- Whose name and honours are divine.