No files submitted.
||Manuscript, n.d. [late 14th century]
||Livre vermeil de Montserrat
||Red Book of Montserrat
|Opus/Catalogue NumberOp./Cat. No.
||E-MO MS 1
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
||late 14th century
||Latin, Catalan, Occitan
||Voices, open instrumentation
The manuscript was prepared in approximately 1399. It originally contained 172 double pages, of which 32 have been lost. 6 folios contain music. The title "The Red Book of Montserrat" describes the red binding in which the collection was placed in the 19th century. No composer is identified for any of the songs it contains.
The 10 songs in the collection that survive are:
- Song: O Virgo Splendens (fol. 21v-22) ("O Splendid Virgin") (3-part canon)
- Virelai/danse: Stella Splendens (fol. 22r) ("Splendid Star") (2-part song)
- Song: Laudemus Virginem (fol. 23) ("Let us praise the Virgin") (3-part canon)
- Song: Splendens Ceptigera (fol. 23) ("Splendid ruler") (4-part canon)
- Virelai: Mariam, Matrem Virginem, Attolite (fol. 25r) ("Praise Mary, the virgin mother") (3-part song)
- Virelai/danse: Polorum Regina (fol. 24v) ("Queen of the Poles")
- Virelai: Cuncti Simus Concanentes (fol. 24) ("Let us sing together")
- Ballad/danse: Los Set Gotxs (fol. 23v) ("The seven joys")
- Motet: Imperayritz de la ciutat joyosa / Verges ses par misericordiosa (fol. 25v) ("Empress of the happy city" / "Virgin, out of mercy") (2-part song)
- Virelai: Ad Mortem Festinamus (fol. 26v) ("We hasten towards death")