: bizet l'arlesienne suite no 2
||Ernest Guiraud (1837-1892)
||First edition (+ reissue)
||Paris: Choudens Père et Fils, n.d.(ca.1880). Plate A.C. 4703.|
Reissue - n.d.(ca.1885). Plate A.C. 6647.
||This file is part of the Sibley Mirroring Project.|
The plate number 6647 was assigned for the score of the complete incidental music. Choudens simply renumbered the plates for the movements used by Guiraud in the second suite, then reissued the suite with the new plate number.
Arrangements and Transcriptions
For Theatre Orchestra (Tobani)
||Theodore Moses Tobani (1855–1933)
||New York: Carl Fischer, 1907. Plate 11773-52.
||These parts are from the full orchestral set published by Carl Fischer. The balance of parts in the set are credited Revised by Paul Wilson, and are copyright 1961.
For Piano 4 hands (Vilbac)
For Piano solo
For Violin and Piano (Centano)
For Voice and Piano (Lindsay)
For Organ solo (Alphenaar)
For Flute, Harp or Piano, Viola ad lib. and Cello (Wetzger)
||L'Arlésienne Suite No.2
|Year/Date of CompositionY/D of Comp.
|Composer Time PeriodComp. Period
- 2 flutes (2nd also piccolo), 2 oboes (2nd also English horn),
- 2 clarinets (B♭ and A), alto saxophone, 2 bassoons
- 4 horns in F, 2 trumpets (B♭ and A), 2 cornets*, 3 trombones
timpani, "tambourin" (drum of Provence), cymbals, bass drum, harp (or piano), strings
*The Hoffmann edition lists 4 trumpets instead of 2 trumpets and 2 cornets
||This suite was arranged by Ernest Guiraud after Bizet's death.
- (ca.1879) - Arrangement for piano solo, plate A.C. 4354, 32 pages
- (ca.1880) - Orchestra parts, plate A.C. 4700
- (ca.1880) - Full score, plate A.C. 4703, 64 pages
- (ca.1881) - Arrangement for piano, 4 hands (Renaud de Vilbac), plate A.C. 4824, 29 pages
See Discussion regarding use of tambourin.