Die hohe Schule des Violinspiels (David, Ferdinand)
Scores and Parts
Leipzig: Breitkopf und Härtel, n.d.. Plate V.A. 1993.
This file is part of the Sibley Mirroring Project. Does one have -good- evidence for a 1910 publication date for these volumes (not 1910s, not ca.1910, but 1910) beyond the plate table? - ES
This extremely popular collection of 20 eighteenth-century works was arranged by Ferdinand David and first published by Breitkopf & Härtel in May of 1867, with another 3 works appearing in October of 1872. Along with several reissues by Breitkopf, the collection was extensively reprinted by other publishers in the decades following David's death, most often with editorial additions from well-known violinists and pedagogues. Despite some serious criticism from the musicologist Hans Joachim Moser for indulging in heavy and overly romantic editing of the original works, the collection remains an important milestone in the re-introduction of Baroque style.
It was also issued in a viola version Die hohe Schule des Violaspiels in 1899, arranged by Friedrich Hermann. The unrelated series Die hohe Schule des Violoncellspiels was arranged by Friedrich Grützmacher and published by Breitkopf between 1891 and 1905. It contains 11 entirely different works, only three of which are from the Baroque period.
See also the detailed article at .
Arranger and Editors
- Ferdinand David (1810-1873)
- Henri Petri (1853–1914) - revision issued by Breitkopf & Härtel in 1910
- Friedrich Hermann (1828-1907) - viola version issued by Breitkopf & Härtel in 1899
- Leipzig: Breitkopf & Härtel, n.d.(1867). Plates 11301-11320, in 3 volumes
- Zweite folge (3 works by Leclair), n.d.(1872)
- Reissue - n.d.(1879)
- Reissue - n.d.(1891), in 2 volumes (edited by Petri)
- Reissue - n.d.(1910). Plates V.A. 1992-1993 (edited by Petri)
|Work Title||Die hohe Schule des Violinspiels|