Daphnis et Chloé (Ravel, Maurice)
- For the later concert suites by the composer, see Daphnis et Chloé Suite No.1 and Daphnis et Chloé Suite No.2
No files submitted.
Paris: Durand & Cie., 1913. Plate D. & F. 9127.
Mineola: Dover Publications
The Contents page includes a translation of directions found within the score--the numbers in parenthesis being the printed page number on which the original indication may be found.
Ravel included an alternate section to be used in lieu of the chorus. This appendix (bookmarked in the PDF) should be inserted after printed page 95 and at end should proceed back to page 100.
Arrangements and Transcriptions
For Piano solo (Ravel)
1. Danse [gracieuse et légère] de Daphnis
2. Nocturne, Interlude et Danse Guerrière
3. Scène de Daphnis et Chloé
*#05989 - 1.67MB, 28 pp. - (7) - V/V/V - 6515x⇩
Paris: Durand & Cie., 1912. Plate D. & F. 8346
|Work Title||Daphnis et Chloé (symphonie chorégraphique)|
|Alternative Title||Daphnis and Chloë|
|Movements/Sections||1 act, 3 tableaux
|Year/Date of Composition||1909-12|
|First Performance||1912-06-08 in Paris, Théâtre du Châtelet.
|First Publication||1913 (full score)|
1910 (piano solo)
|Average Duration||55-60 minutes|
|Piece Style||Early 20th century|
Daphnis and Chloe is a musical setting of the Greek novel by Longus, commissioned by Diaghilev for the Ballets Russes. Premiered in Paris at the Théâtre du Châtelet, Russian Season organized by Sergei Diaghilev (8 June 1912)
- Chloe - Tamara Karsavina
- Daphnis - Vaslav Nijinsky
- Lyceion - Frohman
- Dorcon - Adolf Bolm
- Lammon - Enrico Cecchetti
- Bryaxis - Fedorov
- 1st Nymph - Marie Piltz
- 2nd Nymph - Luvob Tchernicheva
- 3rd Nymph - Kopatzynska
Conducted by Pierre Monteaux
Choreographed by Michel Fokine
Stage and Costume Design by Léon Bakst
- Composed for orchestra with wordless chorus ad lib, 1909–12
- Arranged for solo piano by Ravel, 1910–12
- Suite No.1, comprising music from the first two scenes for orchestral concert performance (with wordless chorus ad lib), was arranged by Ravel in 1911.
- Suite No.2, comprising music from the last scene for orchestral concert performance, was arranged by Ravel in 1913.
- Danse gracieuse de Daphnis, a concert suite of extracts for solo piano, was arranged by Ravel in 1913.